"I’m very much excited for the future"

Ayesha "I aspire to open my own parlour one day"



Ayesha is 32 and, unusually in communities like the Topsia slum where she lives, she is unmarried. Instead, her family depends on her to supplement their tiny income. Seven of them have to live on just Rs4000  (£44) per month. Ayesha is a graduate from the Tuilajal SHED “Saloni” Beauty Training Parlour.   It is clear from the girls’ experiences that the beauty industry is highly exploitative expecting 9 or 10 hour working days for just £20 or £25 a month.  She told us her story:
“Because of financial problems I could not complete my education. When I finished the beauty training course, I searched for a job in a parlour and went to around ten salons for interviews but I decided not to work in any of them as the pay and growth was minimal and long working hours. So, I started freelancing and with some small parlour kits I arranged to buy from my own pocket and now I do freelancing and have a handful of clients. If I have a client, I earn a minimum of Rs.500 for that day at least. For more clients, I need more kits and need publicity but because of lack of funds I’m unable to do it.
Now, I am able to earn around between Rs.3000 to 3500 per month roughly. My income goes up during festivals and the wedding season.
Tiljala SHED Beauty Training Centre is a unique, offering free of cost to students like us.
The Parlour doesn’t just offer advanced course but also Henna designing along with health and hygiene. But I feel that if we can have more additional courses in the parlour it will helps us in the future. Nail Art should also be introduced in the parlour which will help us in earning more incomes.
I aspire to open my own Parlour one day. I already have a professional business card and I’m very much excited for the future.”

It costs just £120 to train a young woman like Ayesha.  A £35 donation buys a kit to help a newly qualified girl go freelance. 


A Purpose-built Training Salon right beside the Park Circus Slum

The Saloni Beauty Training Salon
The First Cohort of Trainees in 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience of Kolkata’s Rag Picker Communities and Tiljala SHED’s Amazing Work there

Shaista's Next Step on the Way to Making the Kolkata Slums a Safer Place for Girls and Women

What does it take to lift a child out of the slum?